Saturday, November 17, 2007

Japanese Restaurant, ISO ATM

The restaurant we went to last night was interesting. I think it was supposed to be a typical casual Japanese restaurant. The menu had some unusual items, for example, it offered horse sashimi (raw horse meat), fried squid guts and squid testicles. Anthony Bourdain would have liked it. Someone ordered the horse sashimi and said that it tasted like "raw meat". I skipped that special treat. The other thing about the restaurant was that everyone there was smoking like crazy. It was impossible to enjoy eating with all the smoke. Still no sign of Mt. Fuji, though. Every day has been too cloudy. Supposedly you can get a really good look at it on a clear day from here. That was really disappointing. The room that we're having our meeting in is amazing -- it has three enormous screens. The big one looks like it's about 10 feet high, and it has two smaller ones on either side. I feel like I"m negotiating an international treaty or something. Here are some pictures of the building at Keio University where we're meeting,  the W3C office,  and the meeting room. We've all been on a constant quest to find an ATM machine that accepts American bank cards. Sometimes they're closed, other times they just spit out our cards with a flurry of Japanese receipts that probably say something like "are you kidding?". I did manage to get some money at the airport, but I didn't get quite enough, so hopefully I can find an ATM and get some more. Someone said that the ATM's at 7-11 take American cards (yes, 7-11 is everywhere here). We'll see. Tonight we're supposed to go to an interesting place called "Enoshima Island".

1 comment:

NMoS said...

Hi Debbie,

I put the link to your workshop on my teacher's page. http://www.springfield.k12.il.us/teachers/jdahl/links.php?b=52#6

I sure hope we can arrange an video conference with you in the webmaster class. I know they would love to hear about your trip to Japan.

Thanks for the blog. It's really fun to hear about your adventures. It's great to have my own personal foreign correspondants in Japan and France. Your description of the squatter (toilet) should receive a Pulitzer.